Saturday, September 1, 2012

Spring clean!

Well it's the first day of spring (not according to the weather) and I've been inspired to get rid of a lot of my 'rainy day' things (those things you keep in case one day you might just need it) also we've just been down to visit a friend and help her clean out her spare room and seeing the space she freed up made me want to come home and attack all of my piles. Don't get me wrong I still love my junk but there is only so much one bus can hold!
I started with the easy stuff like sorting through all my shopping bags and throwing out the ones with holes and rips, then moved on to the toiletries/first aid/anything that doesn't have another home box. This was a bit more painful as some of my rainy day things were quite expensive to buy such as cosmetics (which incidentally I last wore for my sisters wedding 3yrs ago) and natural health products and throwing them out even though they were out of date felt terribly wasteful. I needed a bit of a push to make that decision and luckily Black Velvet came to the rescue with all the reasons I shouldn't keep them haha.
Next I tackled the kitchen bench which had become unusable as a bench because of all the stuff stored on there. I'd bought a new food processor just before we went away and I really wanted it and my juicer to have a place they could be used but not be in the way. After deciding to get rid of the coffee machine I had space above the bench to store the dehydrator and yoghurt maker (btw I'm not really an appliance freak most of these lovely machines have been given to me and once I have them I do use them unlike in a lot of kitchens where they sit in a cupboard collecting dust) (note that little bit of a defensive edge creeping in to that justification there, it is a bit of a sore point :s) anyway back to my story, the end result was a tidier kitchen with a lovely bit of bench space that my gigantic chopping board can now fit on.
All in all it was a productive day. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle under the bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment